This is an exciting opportunity for an intern to join our development team of scientists and engineers and contribute towards our range of products for satellite communication and power management systems. The student will benefit from products designed in-house to learn and go through every step of the engineering process. The main technologies they will get involved with include wireless communication, radar, power electronics and artificial intelligence (AI). In addition, the project will give exposure to the areas of Internet-of-Things (IoT), cybersecurity and advanced microelectronics for embedded AI and renewable energy management.
On-the-job training and assistance will be provided to build essential skills and domain knowledge. The student will report to a lead engineer and work in a multi-disciplinary team of highly skilled systems engineers, microelectronics engineers and AI software engineers.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Assist in the design, fabrication and testing of new electronic components and sub-systems;
- Perform electrical/electronic circuit design, simulation and verification testing;
- Learn entry-level AI programming and signal processing;
- Program microcontrollers to support lightweight AI models;
- Prepare briefing material and documentation, as required;
- Demonstrate working knowledge of cybersecurity procedures.
This role will suit a candidate who is:
- Proficient with electrical/electronic engineering methodologies and systems engineering;
- Proficient in soldering, elementary machining and product assembly;
- Team oriented and enjoys multi-disciplinary work;
- Proficient in their verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrating a can-do attitude and always willing to learn.
Other desirable skills and attributes are:
- Familiarity with embedded systems and either Arduino boards, Raspberry Pi, Jetson Nano;
- Some capacity to conduct CAD modelling;
- Some familiarity with Linux and programming languages such as Python, Matlab/Simulink, C/C++;
- Willingness to work on Defence-related applications.
Benefits to the intern
- Gain hands-on experience with several sensing technologies;
- Grow your knowledge and proficiency outside your core skillset;
- Learn about AI and embedded systems;
- Interact and be mentored by experienced professionals in the field;
- Develop leadership skills and identify possible future career path.
About the placement
- Ideal start date: Tuesday 4 January 2022; end date: Friday 22 April 2022 (Full time in Jan/Feb 2022, part-time in Mar/Apr 2022);
- 7.5 hours per day, 5 days per week, total: 75 hours per fortnight;
- Students must submit a cover letter explaining why they are suitable for this placement along with their CV and an unofficial academic transcript;
- Australian citizenship required. Students will have to sign a non-disclosure agreement with AICRAFT before placement;
About the company
AICRAFT is a South Australian company specialising in the design of smart sensors and systems that perform Artificial Intelligence (AI) at the edge. Our applications are mainly in Defence, space, aerospace but we also provide AI solutions for other sectors.
Our unique proposition is in the way we optimise AI models and execute them with world-class hardware accelerators developed in-house and customisable to different embedded system architectures. This offers maximum efficiency and versatility in applications, handling both imagery and signal data agnostically. Our current activities involve a range of software and products that integrate AI at the edge in novel cameras, Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices, radios, gateways and satellite payloads.